The Kettle Creek Environmental Youth Corps program was launched in 2018. Twelve local high school students worked with KCCA staff on hands-on environmental projects to improve the conditions of the Kettle Creek watershed. Together, the Youth Corps:
- Planted 500 shrubs at Fingal Wildlife Management Area
- Planted 2,000 wildflower plugs at a recently planted tallgrass prairie site on the north end of St. Thomas
- Maintained 6,400 metres of trails at Dan Patterson and Dalewood Conservation Areas
- Removed 3 invasive species (giant ragweed, Manitoba maple and European buckthorn) from Dan Patterson Conservation Area
- Conducted habitat assessments and surface water sampling on Kettle Creek
The program is a unique and fun way to earn volunteer hours towards your OSSD! You are able to meet new people who have similar interests and gain skills and experience that will be a great addition to your resume. To be eligible for the program you must be a high school student. If you enjoy being outdoors or have interest in environmental studies, you will benefit from this opportunity.
For more information about the Environmental Youth Corps program, please contact us.
Stewardship Program Supervisor
Tel: (519) 631-1270 ext. 229