Applications are now being accepted for the 2021 Kettle Creek Environmental Youth Corps (EYC) program. The EYC is a fun way to earn volunteer hours towards your OSSD while gaining hands-on experience in the environmental field. EYC members gain skills and experience that will be a great addition to your resume. To be eligible for the program, you must be a high school student. If you enjoy being outdoors or have interest in environmental studies, you will benefit from this opportunity.
The Environmental Youth Corps Program will run in 2021 dependent on COVID-19 conditions in the Southwestern Public Health jurisdiction. The program will proceed if the region is in Orange, Yellow or Green levels. All activities will be suspended if the region enters into the Red or Grey levels. However, KCCA reserves the right to modify or cancel events or limit the number of participants at any time based on current conditions.
All participants will be provided with safety training for each event and the equipment necessary for the task. Safety protocols will be in place to ensure social distancing, sanitization of tools etc.
2021 Program Outline
Late April/early May 2021 – Orientation (virtual via Zoom)
May/June 2021 – Tree Planting event at Bucke Conservation Area (44015 Ferguson Line, St. Thomas)
May/June 2021 – Wildflower Plug Planting event at Port Stanley Sewage Lagoons (37575 Scotch Line, Port Stanley)
July/August 2021 – Invasive Species Removal event at Dan Patterson Conservation Area (44014 Mapleton Line, St. Thomas)
July/August 2021 – Trail Maintenance event (Location TBD)
- Participants will be expected to perform a COVID-19 self-assessment prior to each event.
- Participants are responsible for their own transportation to each event location.
- Events will vary in duration – typically 1.5-2.5 hours.
- Participants will require sturdy shoes, appropriate clothing, sunscreen, water bottle, snacks. All required equipment will be provided.
- Participants are eligible for volunteer hours reflecting the hours contributed to events attended.
For more information about the Environmental Youth Corps program, please contact us.
Stewardship Program Supervisor
Tel: (519) 631-1270 ext. 229